Kenwood Excelon DNX997XR
Available on backorder
Kenwood’s finest turns your dash into a media powerhouse
Kenwood’s “Excelon Reference” imprint has been around for a little while now — long enough that Kenwood could coast on reputation alone. But they keep finding new ways to improve their best stuff, and the Kenwood Excelon DNX997XR navigation is no exception. With wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility and an 6.75″ touchscreen display with true high-definition resolution, it’s already flagship-worthy. For 2020, Kenwood added better phone compatibility, camera enhancements, and three free years of Garmin map updates. The Excelon Reference badge also gives you the benefits of a 2-year warranty, high-voltage preamp outputs, and audiophile-quality audio components.
A high-definition display for easier viewing
The DNX997XR’s 720p high-definition display is eye-catching enough for movie night while parked in the driveway, even if the sun’s still out. The 6.75″ capacitive display gives you pinch-to-zoom command over maps, and you’ll be able to glimpse album artwork with unparalleled clarity, no matter the angle. The motorized display features reverse tilt, so you can find the optimum viewing position, even if your dash has a funky curve or two.
Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
Thanks to built-in Wi-Fi®, you can enjoy the benefits of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay without connecting to the DNX997XR via USB. That’s convenience on top of convenience, considering that you can now get maps, messaging, music, and much more done through the stereo using your fingers and either Siri® voice assistant or Google Assistant™ to control the action. Plus, you’ll get easy access to many of your favorite apps — find out more at www.android.com/auto and www.apple.com/ios/carplay. In addition, the DNX997XR offers wireless screen mirroring for select Android phones, which lets you select apps directly from the Kenwood touchscreen.
Screen mirroring for iPhone® and Android™
If you’re not a fan of CarPlay or Android Auto, the DNX997XR offers convenient screen mirroring for both iPhone and Android devices via wired USB connection. You’ll need to have the “Mirroring for Kenwood” app on your smartphone to take advantage of this feature. Once you’re up and running, you can see all the action from your phone right on the stereo’s display. With Android devices, you’ll also be able to control the phone via the stereo and vice-versa.
Garmin guidance with 3 years of updates
The DNX997XR boasts Garmin maps of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. You’ll also get reliable routing with spoken street names at turns, lane assistance, and realistic views of complicated intersections. 3D terrain views give you the lay of the land for even more assurance. You also get three years of free map updates from Garmin, so you’re sure to stay current as roads and destinations change down the line — these updates are only available via the Garmin Express app suite for PCs. Kenwood’s interface also provides more opportunities for split-screen control, so you can still follow the maps as the stereo shows you what’s playing or who’s calling.
5 years of INRIX traffic reports to avoid delays
You’ll get a free 5-year subscription to INRIX traffic service, which provides quick updates on congestion along your route. You’ll need to have your smartphone with the app on it connected to the receiver to take advantage of these traffic updates. INRIX updates require an in-app purchase after the 5-year subscription ends.
HD Radio™ for broadcasts with depth and clarity
The DNX997XR also features an HD Radio tuner. You’ll enjoy much-improved AM/FM sound quality when you’re tuned into a local participating station, and there’s no subscription required — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
Get your media your way
This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files, while an A/V input offers connection for more audio/video sources. A pair of rear USB ports let you add audio from an iPod or flash drive, including high-resolution FLAC and WAV files. You also get an SD card slot for playing digital music files and map updates.
Satellite radio for long-distance (or regular) drives
Why struggle with stations fading away as you travel? You can hook up a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included) to this receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides — and your favorite stations are always there. The DNX997XR works with TuneMix, SportsFlash, and other new SiriusXM features, which give you even more customizable options for listening the way you want.
A wealth of sonic superlatives
Kenwood equipped this Excelon Reference receiver with custom-made or carefully curated sonic components— including three sets of gold-plated 5-volt preamp outputs — to deliver superb audio performance. A 3-way crossover lets you adjust for separate highs, mids, and sub frequencies if you’re amplifying subs, woofers, and tweeters separately. Kenwood’s Drive EQ+ technology boosts certain frequencies that are easily masked by wind and tires rolling on asphalt. It also enhances your music’s bottom end as your speed increases, so you can really feel those tunes as you drive. You can also tweak the sound to your ears’ content with a 13-band equalizer and other sound shaping tools at your disposal.
Add up to four cameras — including one in HD
The DNX997XR boasts the capability for up to four cameras (front, rear, blind-spot, dash), so you can see more when you’re getting in and out of tight spots. And now you can enjoy the images from one camera (like the Kenwood CMOS-740HD) in high-definition with the dedicated HD camera input. If you’ve got a pair of rear-view cameras, you can reverse the image of the one up front to get a more precise picture. The receiver’s dedicated input for Kenwood’s DRV-N520 Drive Recorder dash cam lets you capture your travels in high definition.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras — and add some upgrades
This Kenwood offers compatibility you won’t find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you’d otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You’ll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Kenwood’s screen. It’ll even integrate your stealth K40 RL200di radar detector into the stereo’s display, so you can see and hear about incoming threats. Once you’ve identified your vehicle, you’ll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it’s compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver’s Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone’s Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our articles about Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you’re going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check “Details” for compatibility information.
You’ll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- DVD/CD navigation receiver
- motorized 6.75″ HD capacitive touchscreen with reverse tilt
- high-definition display (1280 x 720 pixels)
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- plays media loaded with MP3, WMA, AAC music files, plus high-res WAV and FLAC files
- fits double-DIN (4″ tall) dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- AM/FM tuner
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatible (wired or wireless) — see “Details” for more info
- wired screen mirroring for iPhone and Android with “Mirroring for Kenwood” app
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free control for select iPhones
- wireless screen mirroring from select Android phones
- compatible with Kenwood Remote S smartphone app for wireless source selection through your phone
- maps of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 6 million points of interest
- 3 years of Garmin map updates included with purchase (Garmin Express software suite for PC required)
- optional traffic reports available through INRIX smartphone app — 5-year subscription included with purchase (smartphone required)
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- 3D terrain view
- 13-band graphic EQ
- DSP with digital time alignment
- bass boost and loudness controls
- Drive EQ improves sound to compensate for exterior noise
- high- and low-pass filters and 3-way crossover
- audiophile-quality sonic circuitry including gold-plated preamp outputs
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: two rear detachable USB inputs; SD card slot; rear analog A/V input (mini-jack); three camera inputs (one HD); input for Kenwood DRV-N520 Drive Recorder
- outputs: video output (RCA) with audio output (mini-jack); 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, sub)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- SD card input for map updates
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- fits double-DIN (4″ tall) dash openings
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine and other performance data on touchscreen