Sony MASTER Series XR-55A90J
Local Pickup Only
A smarter processor
Sony’s stunning top-of-the-line MASTER Series OLED is consistently one of the most highly rated TVs available. And yet somehow they keep managing to improve it. This year, they’ve done it by adding a revolutionary new processor — the first to use cognitive intelligence in a TV.
The XR-55A90J’s Cognitive Processor XR takes conventional Artificial Intelligence a step further by emulating the way our brains think and respond when we see and hear things. This creates a beautiful, true-to-life picture paired with immersive, accurate sound.
Remarkably realistic picture
All OLED TVs have self-illuminating pixels that can turn completely off to deliver absolute black. What’s new and special about the XR-55A90J is the re-engineered panel that makes it the brightest OLED TV that Sony has ever made. And with the power of the new processor behind it, you get intelligently controlled contrast for realistic depth and sharply defined details, even in areas of shadow or glare.
The XR processor also cross-analyzes individual picture elements and quickly identifies the human focal point, so that it can immediately enhance each detail of that area. Instead of applying generic changes to the entire frame, it recognizes how individual parts of the whole interact with each other and makes precise adjustments create a more natural picture.
Better sound, too
The ‘A90J’s XR processor contributes to a richer sound experience, too. Its 3D Surround Upscaling technology can create a heightened Atmos-like soundfield no matter what the source.
When combined with the TV’s Acoustic Surface Audio+™ technology, sound effects and dialogue track the on-screen action, creating an even more immersive experience. Instead of the tiny — often down-firing — speakers that most TVs have, the ‘A90J uses actuators on the back to send vibrations through the screen to produce sound from its entire surface.
And if you still want more, the TV can become the center channel in a receiver-and-speakers setup.
Google on board
New this year is the built-in Google TV smart app platform which consolidates a wide range of streaming services into a single user interface. Watch an episode of Killing Eve on Hulu followed by The Expanse on Amazon Prime all from one watchlist, without having to dig around in individual apps.
And if you’re feeling really lazy, you can simply ask the remote’s built-in Google Assistant to pull up a show or movie. You can also adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions using your voice.
A perfect partner for your new gaming console
The XR-55A90J will support enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) and 4K at 120Hz right out of the box. After a firmware update, it will also support Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) for smooth graphics without frame tearing or stuttering.
- 54.6″ screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- self-illuminating OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panel produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
- pixel-level dimming enables each of the panel’s pixels to brighten, dim, or power off completely, displaying exceptional picture detail, contrast, and depth
- Cognitive Processor XR uses powerful real-time processing based on a human perspective for a true-to-life picture
- XR OLED Contrast PRO increases brightness and enhances color contrast in high-luminance scenes
- object-based XR Super Resolution identifies up to hundreds of on-screen objects and enhances their resolution individually for exceptional picture accuracy and detail
- object-based XR HDR remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- XR 4K Upscaling intelligently recreates lost textures and detail in lower-res content
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content
- XR Triluminos Pro™ display technology for a wider, more natural color palette
- 120Hz refresh rate with XR Motion Clarity™ for sharp, smooth motion even during fast action
Video source compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- NextGen TV ATSC 3.0 tuner can receive over-the-air 4K broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV features:
- Google TV interface lets you browse live TV, movies, and TV shows from across many streaming services all in one place
- Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your phone or laptop
- remote has built-in Google Assistant — control basic TV functions and compatible smart home gear, search TV’s streaming services, set timers, and more
- TV is also compatible with other Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa devices (sold separately)
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Calibrated Mode mimics the settings on Netflix’s mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay® 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- Living Decor feature lets you display artwork, photos, and screensavers when TV is not in use
- includes access to exclusive content on BRAVIA CORE
- 4 HDMI inputs (two 2.0b, two 2.1)
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- HDMI 3 and HDMI 4 inputs support 4K/120Hz and will support Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) after firmware update
- HDMI 3 input supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- pair of speaker binding post terminals for connecting to an A/V receiver when using the TV’s Center Speaker Mode
- Ethernet port for the fastest, most secure internet connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- Acoustic Surface Audio+ makes the entire screen a speaker (2.2-channel system with 60 watts total power)
- Center Speaker Mode allows dialogue, effects, and music to come directly from the screen, complementing an existing home theater system
- 3D Surround Upscaling uses XR signal processing to upscale even two-channel sources to simulated 5.1.2-channel sound
- Acoustic Auto Calibration optimizes sound for your room
- can send Dolby Atmos® audio to the TV’s speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/eARC, when using the TV’s HDMI inputs or built-in streaming apps
General features & info:
- backlit voice remote with built-in microphone
- wall-mountable (bracket sold separately)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 300mm x 300mm
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield):
- with stand in standard position: 50-1/2″W x 28-1/16″H x 12-1/2″D
- with stand in sound bar position: 48-1/4″W x 30-5/8″H x 12-1/2″D
- without stand: 48-1/8″W x 28″H x 1-5/8″D (includes allowance for cable connections)
- weight: 41 lbs. without stand; 44.8 with stand